2018 Rally Wrap Up

posted May 17, 2018, 1:56 PM by PacificNorthWest MultihullAssoc   [ updated Jun 8, 2018, 4:50 PM by A Rice ]

What a day we had Saturday!!! 

It dawned clear and still, and I was worried that we would have to do a short course, but the breeze came up as we were all standing around looking at weather apps (except for Eric Lindahl, who was trying to get through to NASA on a rotary phone plugged into his cigarette lighter), so we decided to do the long course.  We delayed the start to 10:30 to allow for more coffee, and by the start time came around, there was a solid racing breeze. 

Our participants:

              The aforementioned Eric Lindahl in his F31, with crew Brandon (aspiring multi owner from Tacoma area);

              Francois Rouaix with wife Suzanne, and charming son Lucas (Kite foiler in training) in their F31;

              Jim Miller with son Jimmy, and friend Evan in the custom cat Green Flash (aka mono crusher);

              Doug (reef, I don’t need no stinkin’reef) Barlow, with crew  (the cannonball) Yuri and friend Richard in the infamous F-27 Alii Kai, extra tall mast, multiple winner of the first-to-finish honors in Race to the Straits;

              Bill (why yes I am towing a dingy, do you have a problem with that) Quigley, with crew Joel (solid carbon) Smith, on Tatiana, an F32 that Bill built in closets and basements over the course of multiple years and multiple addresses;

              Martin (“sunburn”) Barker on his elegant Dragonfly 32 Touring (“Fafnir”), with crew Diane and Mark Olsoe. 

             And last, your rapporteur, Vince (reef now or we’re gonna die) DePillis with wife Kristin Bedell, Johnny (sail hotter) Ohta, and old friend Phil Dinsmore, on the much-modified F31 Freda Mae.

 Vince and Doug were bang on time at Yellow buoy “AO” ready to go.  It’s just a rally, not a real race, so we were totally chill, notwithstanding the fact that Doug pipped us at the line last Sunday on a freak wind shift, after clobbering us on Saturday.  So don’t read too much into the fact that Kristin was counting down the seconds, and Johnny was all “go, go go” as the (imaginary) gun went off.

It is just such a joy to set off on a race on a sunny day in Puget Sound, with friends in hot pursuit, in strong breeze.   And I love this 28 mile course, north from Everett past Hat (Gedney) Island (always a question which side to go), up to the buoy at the head of Holmes Harbor, and back.  Interesting tides, relatively flat water, spectacular scenery, and a tricky mark rounding at the top of the course.  

The 14-18 knot winds never let up, except at the top mark, where the wind died for a minute, and we had to put in an extra tack to make it.   And such a spinnaker run home, a true magic carpet ride.  We completed the 28 miles in about 3 hours and 40 minutes, more or less tied with Doug on handicap (but who’s counting).  Everybody completed the course except Fafnir, which is much more of a cruiser than the other boats. 

As we hit the dock we saw Dan Hill, the true hero of the rally, hustling food down the gang way.  Beer, burgers, brats, kraut, potato salad, all the fixings.  We ate and drank from 4 to 8 PM, and then sat around and jawed for another two hours as the sun set, the wind died, and the perfectly still night enveloped us.  Next year Dan gets to sail—somebody else has to do the food.  Just do what Dan says.

Here's a sunset shot of the last hangers on the party float:

Sunday we pooped out on “racing” as there was no point in trying to improve on perfection.  We had a lovely sail back to Shilshole.

Particular thanks to Mark Olsoe and David Larew(nephew of ScuttleButt herself) who saved us tables at Scuttlebutt on Friday night, even thought we got there two hours late.  We had a highly convivial gathering (and a 4 piece fish and chips).

And thanks so much to Commodore Jeff Oakleif, who could not attend, but made his presence unforgettably known, as the creator of the “Calibrated Speed Orb”.  This magnificent device was placed by persons unknown in my battery compartment, where I found it Friday afternoon, as I prepared to head up to Everett.  Its primary component appears to be a large, and very genuine looking, iron cannonball.  When placed as directed (30 feet from the stern), there is no doubt that my speed increased dramatically.  The Orb is a club asset, and will be available to all racers, with appropriate notification to the PHRF handicapper, Pat McGarry.